
imdb: M (2007)
The movie itself is very visually driven; I wasn't a huge fan of the plot (kind of a letdown. I liked it until maybe halfway through.), but the colors and contrast of the film are extremely intense and beautiful. There is also a great use of reflections and mirrors throughout the film. I could easily watch it for the visuals alone. Also, I really enjoy the soundtrack. BoA did the movie's song "안개 (mist/fog)" which is a remake of an older song (which is great, but I can't seem to find anything about it). Kang Dong Won also did a shorter version of 안개, "우리가 흥얼거렸던 그 노래". There are also various instrumental versions of the song.
I also noticed in one scene (if the subtitles I watched it with are correct) when Minwoo (Kang Dong Won) is typing his novel, it quotes the beginning of Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Black Cat', which I found very interesting.
Before, I had been avoiding Myung Se Lee's movie "Duelist" (2005) because I hadn't heard very good reviews, only that the visuals were nice and that Kang Dong Won is good looking. I tried it out anyway and once again it features Kang Dong Won along with Ha Ji Won.

imdb: Duelist (2005)
Once again Lee has gorgeous visuals; his style is very distinct. He also managed to make it humorous. Again, though, I wasn't too excited about the plot (I found 'M' to have a slightly stronger one). It also seems that 'M' displays Kang Dong Won's acting ability much more than 'Duelist'. To me, it seems Lee enjoys themes of separated lovers, which easily comes off as cheesy or overly dramatic. Again, like 'M', Kang Dong Won (as well as Ha Ji Won) contributed vocals to the movie for an ending theme.
Overall, if you want lots of substance, 'M' may be a better choice, but in general I recommend these movies for their visuals and music (though I'm not so sure either did too well at the box office).

No comments:
Post a Comment